Ro “Shut the #### Up, Whiteboy” Parker

Unfortunately this is not new for BSU and campuses nationwide. However, Ms. Ro Alvarado ‘Parker’ ought to hear from as many folks as possible.

Boise State’s Cultural Center director, Ro Parker (photo), is at the centerof campus controversy . . . because she put a racist illustration onher Facebook profile.

It began when Parker posted an image on Facebook. As the Boise Statecampus newspaper described, it’s an “illustration” of “two black women,one of whom is pointing a finger in the face of a white man. He isholding his hands up in a position of semi-surrender. The caption reads‘shut the #### up, Whiteboy.’”

(Perhaps ironically, Parker’s goals—according to her BSU profilepage—are to “plan programming that will raise awareness of marginalizedgroups, white privilege, identity and oppression.”)

The illustration was printed on handouts that were anonymouslydistributed across campus. Campus outcry soon followed. Student SenatePresident Pro Tempore Justin White explained his reaction simply: “I amsiding with students. Content reflects personal opinion. Teachers getfired for this.”

Student Erin Malor said this entire episode showcases the hypocrisyof the center’s goals. “Most students on this campus are here for aneducation that will help them in the future, but it appears theCultural Center is attempting to re-educate students. The sensiblething would be for [Ro] Parker to resign over this incident, tomaintain the integrity of the Cultural Center.”

In this crisis for Boise State, one lesson is certain: cultural anddiversity centers are well-funded at schools across the nation. Theyemploy thousands, if not tens of thousands of individuals, who enforcea strict orthodoxy of political correctness, heavy on oppression and“identity.”

However, the coordinator of the Cultural Center at Boise StateUniversity has posted a shocking image that should cause reflectionamong those who question the allocation of resources to go towardsdepartments that serve little educational value, save for the censoringof individuals they deem not diverse. (Email Ro Parker: rparker1@boisestate.edu )

Boise State University students and SGA officials are working to seethat proper actions are taken to ensure that BSU doesn’t harbor aclimate for hate. Ro Parker is an employee of the state of Idaho andmerely the action of posting this hurtful picture on her Facebookprofile warrants immediate removal from her post as coordinator for theCultural Center.

Diversity and tolerance mean inclusion(1) for all, not just for those groups the Cultural Center deems worthy of protection.

Source

(1) For the record, EAU is not interested in “inclusion.”

Staff

Ro Parker Ro Alvarado Coordinator
Rois the full-time Center Coordinator that works with students,departments and faculty in programming for the Cultural Center. She isfrom Eastern Oregon and a BSU alumni. Her goal for the Cultural Centerstaff this year will be to plan programming that will raise awarenessof marginalized groups, white privilege, identity and oppression. Sheis excited to be working with a great staff of people and the excellentstudent organizations in helping educate and create dialogue on campus.Ro welcomes all students interested in this goal to come to theCultural Center.

(208) 426-5950
rparker1@boisestate.edu

2010-02-17